Game Information Network First Game Perspective - The Most Professional Gaming Entertainment Portal

phone-reading

m.6kgm.com

> EN > Gold Coins > Find > Battle of Balls >

Sbattle ball draperMusselburgh

2018-05-16 15:18 Source:6KGM.COM Edit:admin
Click:Times

In 1798 the Government of the country found it hard to balance its budget and the members of the Royal Musselburgh Golf Club voted on the question whether its surplus funds should be drunk or part of them given as a mite in aid of the Government It was decided unanimously that five guineas should be sent to the Treasury, and that the remainder of the funds should be disposed of at the December meeting.

Musselburgh Golf Club came into being in 1774 when Tom McMillan of Shorthope presented a cup which continues to be played for at the Autumn Meeting. The club shared the links with Musselburgh Racecourse established in 1811, and from 1836 by a number of other golf clubs including Edinburgh Burgess and Bruntsfield Links Societies and the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers. Musselburgh was originally seven holes, an eighth was added in 1838 and a ninth in 1870. After their game of golf the members gathered for refreshments in Hugh Moirs Tea, Wine and Spirit Merchants at 53 High Street, Musselburgh.

Peter McEwan was the sixth generation of the McEwan mily involved in club and ball . James McEwan started the mily business in 1770 at Leith. He was followed by Peter McEwan (1781-1836), then by his son Douglas (1809--6), another Peter (1834--5) and then Douglas (1869-1921).

James Cooper from Stockbridge, Edinburgh claimed to be the inventor of the rubber-core golf ball, which he made while serving as an apprentice dentist at 18, Bristo Street, Edinburgh. He made the ball with the aid of a vulcanising machine and played with it. This was years before the rubber-core ball was placed on the market by Coburn Haskell of Cleveland in -8. Cooper was a keen bowler and golfer and a member of Warrender Park Golf Club on Bruntsfield links.

In the earliest code of the Honourable Company the penalty was one stroke for a lost ball. The penalty of the distance and stroke was adopted in 1839 with the following exception: But a ball is not to be considered lost which is seen to go on to the road or over the wall on the south-side of the road at Musselburgh .

usselburgh Links is the site of the oldest remaining golf course in the world. This nine-hole course is a relic from the cradle of golf and remains as a testimony to what was the centre of Scottish golf during its greatest era. Authenticating the record is documentary evidence found in the account book of Sir John Foulis of Ravelston who records losing at golfe at Musselburgh on 2nd March 1672. He also mentions that Mary Queen of Scots reputedly played here in -7.

Their ther George Armour was an accomplished violinist and he died in 1900 when Tommy was four years old and did not share in his sons achievements. Tommy joined the Edinburgh Thistle Golf Club which had its home course at the Braid Hills. He won the club Gold Scratch Medal in 1919 and was also a member of Edinburgh Western Golf Club which also played at the Braids and the club rented rooms in the Carruthers Golfers Tryst clubhouse.

The controversial centre-shafted Schenectady putter with a mallet-head was banned by the Royal & Ancient Golf Club when it first appeared in 1903. The goose-necked putter was originally invented by Willie Park after his putting creek was run over by a cart, bending the socket forward. Park to his surprise found he could putt better with it in its new shape and it was patent by him. The clubs both of wooden and iron clubs embodying identically the same principal made by R. Anderson & Sons, 101 Princes Street, Edinburgh were on the market years beefre the Schenectady putter was ever thought of.

The first recorded feathery ball-maker in Musselburgh was Tom Alexander born 1827 in New Street. In the 1830s his mother was steward in the Golf House in Millhill. In 1835 in a well publicised match Tom Alexander and partner Robert Oliphant were defeated by Sandy and David Pirie over two rounds at St. Andrews. In October 1840 Alexander played in a match against Allan Robertson over two rounds at St. Andrews which again the locals won.

Tommy Armour know as the Silver Scot had the unique distinction of playing in 1921 for Britain against the US as an amateur and in 1925 as professional for the US against Britain in the unofficial international matches that preceded the inception of the Walker Cup and Ryder Cup events. At this time he was appointed professional at Medinah Country Club, Chicago (1933-34) and resided at 308 Scoville Street, Oak Park, Cook County, Illinois. When he retired from competitive golf he moved to Florida and gave lessons at the Boca Raton Waldorf Resort and gained an outstanding reputation as a coach and books he wrote on the technique of the game were best-sellers. Thomas D. Armour died on 11 September 1968 Larchmont, New York.

George Baillie born 1852 in Musselburgh, was a teacher in Belst and a keen golfer when Tom Sinclair, a local resident persuaded him to layout a golf course for the Royal Belst Golf Club. In -1 Baillie was appointed secretary of the club and became a prolific course designer in Ireland. The courses he laid out included Royal County Down, Royal Portrush, Scarabo, Bundora, Lisburn, Lane, Greenore, Knock, Castlerock, Omah and Leopardstown. In laying out the first course in Ireland for Royal Belst Golf Club, Baillie was assisted by Walter Day a native of Musselburgh and pro at Bruntisfield links. His brother Alex Day was later to become professional at the Royal Belst Club where he remained for twenty years.

The list below of Edinburgh club-makers peaked in 1900.

William Armour born -2 in Linlithgow before the mily moved to Edinburgh the following year. William was a joiner to trade and was the first in the mily to join the professional ranks. In 1911 he moved to France and was appointed golf professional at Aix-les-Bains (1911-34), he was also attached to Golf Club de Menton (1922) and also Sospel Golf Club (1923-24). He died on 3rd August 1934 in the Municipal Hospital at Aix-les-Bains aged 51 years. He resided with his wife Jean at 14 Rue Talma, Aix-les-Bains and his death was registered by the British Consulate in France.

An article in the New York Times quoted Bobby Cruikshank a fellow professional, who served with Armour in France said that Tommy while still a teenager captured a Germain tank single-handedly when the tank commander ignored the invitation to surrender peacefully, given the enclosed confines of the cock-pit. Armour was forced to strangle his captive to death, an act of raw courage that earned him a personal audience with George V when the King made a morale-busting visit to the trenches.

In 1930 he travelled to Scotland with his wife Margaret and one year-old son Robert to visit his mily at No.1 Sciennes Hill Place, Newington, Edinburgh. Bob shared the journey from New York to Glasgow with three other golf professionals John Dryburgh (Fife), Herbert G. Irwin (Edinburgh), and George Thomson (North Berwick).

The Musselburgh golf ball makers have been involved in the evolution of the golf ball since General Balfour returned from India with a piece of gutta-percha which he asked Old Willie Dunn to make into golf balls. It was Willie Dunn who used a cobblers hand-hammer to mark the outside of the gutta-percha ball which made the ball travel further.

Alexander Sandy Armour (b.-1) was fifteen years older than Tommy and resided with his mother Martha, two brothers and three sisters at 23 Comiston Road, Edinburgh. Sandy served an apprenticeship as a joiner and was a member of Edinburgh Western Golf Club in 1910 and the following year his brother Tommy joined. In 1914 Sandy and Tommy were part of a four-man team representing the Western Club who won the prodigious Evening Dispatch Trophy. Sandy won the Scottish Amateur Championship with brother Tommy on the bag and in 1920 Sandy was elected captain of the Western Golf Club.

Sandy regularly played in the Middle Atlantic Professional Golf Association tournament representing Congressional. In 1930 the tournament was played at Fountain Head Country Club when the members backed their local pro. When Tommy Armour left Congressional in 1929 Sandy took over as head pro until 1935. The members of the Congressional Country Club included John D Rockefeller, the duPonts, Walter Chrysler, William Randolph Hearst, Harvey S. Firestone and US Presidents Taft, Coolidge, Hoover, Wilson, Harding were lifetime members of the club.

To the south is the main traffic route on to which the Musselburgh golfers often sliced their shots and played back to the links using the new brass-soled clubs. The metal plate on the brassie wooden club was invented here in -5. The Graves, the 344 yard 2nd hole was reputedly named after the ground where the soldiers were buried following the Battle of Pinkie in -7. Some say to stop the golfers using the land.

Thomas William Bonnar born 4th October -6, Edinburgh, son of John A. T. Bonnar, Pictorial Artist and his wife Jane Bonnar. The mily moved to 31 Millhill, Inveresk, Musselburgh where young Tom worked as a golf caddy. Tom emigrated to America after being recommended for the position of professional at Merion Cricket Club by Ja

At the third green, beside Lord Shands bunker stands Mrs. Foremans Inn where there was a hatch in the wall used to pass refreshments to the early golfers. The course then turns northwest towards the sea with a bunker named Pandemonium to be negotiated.

James Cooper was born in 1843 in Edinburgh son of James Cooper, bell hanger journeyman and his wife Marion Sharp. James qualified as a dentist and set up his first practice in 1867 at 29 Clarence Street, Stockbridge, Edinburgh. He moved to 2 Albert Place and then to 31, Howe Street when he was described as a dental surgeon. In -3 he was incapacitated by illnesss and his two sons who he trained as dentists continued the practice. James Cooper died in December 1915 at 144 Craiglea Drive, Morningside aged 72 years.

Tommy enlisted in WW1 and quickly moved through the ranks to be Staff Major in the Tank Regiment. He was blinded in both eyes and sustained serious injuries to the head and left arm during a mustard gas attack at Passchendale. When he was released from hospital with metal plates pinning his skull together and having regained the sight in his right eye he was able to play more golf.

By the -0s there was a number of clubs playing Musselburgh and organising the Links became a problem with over crowding. The four senior clubs, the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, Burgess, Bruntsfield and Royal Musselburgh formed a committee to regulate the green, ending the towns control over the links which had lasted for hundreds of years.

The H. R. H. Duke of Connaught was the Governor General of Canada and while quartered at Peirshill Barracks in -6 his Royal Highness joined Musselburgh Golf Club. In October 1876, His Royal Highness the Duke of Connaught was elected Honorary President of the Club and in December 1876 he agreed to the title of Royal being appended to the name of the Club. In return his Royal Highness presented the club with a handsome silver challenge cup, played for annually by the eight lowest scorers at the Autumn Meeting.

The seemingly random size for the four and a quarter inch diameter hole was just that, it happened to be the width of the implement invented by Robert Gay in 1829 and first used to cut the holes at Musselburgh. In -3 the R&A made the size mandatory.

John Aitken born 12 January -0, South Vennel, Fisherrow, Inveresk, son of John Aitken, maltsman and his wife Agnes Hardie. Aitken worked with Willie Park Jnr and was later appointed foreman in the ctory at 27 Pinkie Road, Inveresk. He moved to St Andrews before being attached to Hanger Hill 1928-29. Aitken was then appointed head pro to George Duncan at Wentworth 1929-1938. Hickory shafted clubs with forged heads by Forgan of St Andrews and marked John Aitken Wentworth Golf Club are popular with collectors. John Aitken died 18 February 1961 at 3e Mortonhall Terrace, Musselburgh.

The links was originally seven holes, with another added in 1838 and the full nine-holes came into play in 1870. The first three holes stretch eastwards from the grandstand at the racecourse - site of the former clubhouse of the Honourable Company.

The Musselburgh Silver Cup is the oldest sporting trophy in existence and is on display in the British Golf Museum. First played for in 1774 it is the only 18th century trophy in the shape of a cup, while the other four from that period take the form of a silver club. Musselburgh Golf Club became a Royal Club in 1876 and moved to a new course at Prestongrange in 1925. Another club named Musselburgh Golf Club was established in 1938 when the Town Council decided to move to Monktonhall. The Musselburgh Old Links Club continues to play over the original nine-hole-course owned by Musselburgh Town Council.

Bob Aitken was a member of the Philadelphia section of the PGA and following a meeting of professionals in Wannamakers Department Store in Philadelphia in 1935 Bob Aitken was elected Vice President of the Philadelphia section. He was re-elected the following year. Bob Aitken died 10 September 1979 at 33528 Dunedin, Pinellas, Florida.

The -9 Open championship was the last to be held at Musselburgh. It consisted of four rounds of the nine-hole course played on a gloomy 8th November day. There were 48 competitors, 22 of these were Musselburgh men. At the conclusion of the third round it was almost dark and the organisers, The Honorable Company of Edinburgh Golfers had to do something drastic to complete the championship before total darkness. It was decided to offer five shillings to any of the players willing to retire from the tournament at the end of the third round. It was so dark during the fourth round the final pairs had to be guided by the street lights. The result was a draw between Willie Park Jnr and Andrew Kirkaldy and they returned on Monday for the 36 hole play-off which Willie Park won. The last Musselburgh Open Tournament was played in 1906. The tournament was played nine times when the Open Championship was played in Scotland. Although the halcyon days of Musselburgh were over, professionals like James Braid continued to play the course and in October 1911 Braid set a new course record 69, previously held by Harry Vardon with a 77.

Alex Aitken 174 Morningside Road; R. Anderson & Sons 67 Princes Street; Colin Bain, 36 Patrick Square; Alex Bain 61 Dalry Road; W.A. Bain & Co. 22 South College Street. David A. Brown, 4 Graham Street; Thomas Carruthers, Golfers Tryst, Braid Hills; J. P. Cochrane & Co, 27 Albert Street; Wm. Cunningham 26 & 35 Leven Street; J. & A. Dickson, 15 Comiston Road, 14 Braid Road, and 5 Barrcares Street; F. Doleman 36 Wrights Houses; Far & Sure Golf Club Co. 124 Duke Street, Leith; William Fergie, Archers Hall; Wm. Frier, Braid Hill. Wm. Gibson & Co. Jordon Lane, creek and iron maker; Gouldie & Co. 25 Princes Street; Grey & Co. 27 Frederick Street; John Grieve 44 Dalry Road; Gunn & Co. 36 Braid Road; Hardy Brothers 5 South St Davids Street; Alexander Henry & Co. Beaverbank; F. A. Lamley maker of the Scottish Champion Clubs and Balls, 163 Leith Street; Henry Lumsden, 100 Newhaven Road; William Macormack, Roseburn Street; Martin & Kirkaldy, Young Street, South Lane; Harry Macrae, 60 Clerk Street; T & G Mackenzie, 6 Bank Street; George Mckay, 53 High Street; W.S. Millar, 58 High Street; John Muir. 7 East Adam Street; Martin McDaid Easter Road; John Muir 96 Nicolson Street; William Park Jun. 6 South St Andrew Street; A. G. Spalding & Bros. 3 South Charlotte Street,Alex Simpson 6 Braid Road; Spence & Spence, 40 and 42 Charlette Street, Leith, Sportsmans Emporium, 33 Frederick Street, John L. Somerville, 1a Hope Park Terrace; Alexander Winchester, East End, Braid Hills; William Watt, 17 West Register Street.

Another early Musselburgh golfer was Tom Geddes born 1842, Inveresk. His parents Thomas and Marion were keepers of the Golf Tavern, 48 High Street, Musselburgh. Tom Jnr. trained as a blacksmith and resided at Haddon Court, 112 Nicolson Street, Edinburgh. The town of Musselburgh has produced many champions like the Parks, Ferguson, Brown and the Dunns.

Robert Aitken born 3 October -1 in Abbey View Cottage, North Berwick son of Robert Aitken, a gardener and his wife Agnes Aytoun. In -5 Robert moved with his parents to Loganbank Gardens, Milton Bridge, Midlothian where he learned to play golf at Glencorse Golf Club.

In March 1938, Sandy was appointed golf professional at the nine-hole course at Bloomington Golf and Country Club, Illinios. Here he gained a reputation as an excellent instructor, successfully coaching several juniors at the club. In 1942 he married a rich widow Ethel Barnett and they resided permanently in the Shoreham Hotel in Washington DC. Tommy Armour and Lawson Little were signed as pros by Samuel S Deutch owner of Hawthorne Valley Country Club, Cleveland. Armour was the teaching pro at the club and Little represent the club at tournaments. In 1943 he resigned from the PGA and Sandy died in January 1969 in Washington DC.

The Gourlay mily of professionals and ballmaker was established by Douglas Gourlay and operated from Bruntsfield links and later at the Royal Musselburgh Golf Club in Musselburgh. His sons William and John continued the business. John Gourlay worked between 1835 and 1855 in producing golf balls. He was one of three males in the Gourlay mily who specialised in golf equipment. A feathery ball made by John Gourlay in 1850 fetched 2,640 at a Sotherbys auction in July 2000.

The next follows the coastline with the second last hole near the gasworks requiring a drive and a long iron shot to reach the green. The Home Hole, which is now the present first, near the abandoned former clubhouse of the Burgess golfers. The course measures 5380 yards.

Curiously enough the earliest annual match between two clubs was at first decided not by match play but by medal play. This was the contest ten-a-side between the Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society and the Bruntsfield Golf Club. Both were played in the middle of the nineteenth century over Bruntisfield links.

In the Musselburgh Club minutes dated September 1834. It was resolved that boys employed as caddies shall be paid for one round, Threepence and for two or more Twopence each round. An engagement for the day not to exceed one Shilling. Golfers from other places will see the property of giving effect to this resolution.

A minute of the Musselburgh Club in 1830 shows that as a result of a challenge from the Bruntsfield Club a six-a-side match was played in October of that year at Musselburgh, the visitors winning by 3 holes but a return match three weeks later also at Musselburgh went to the local club side by a hole. This is the earliest reference to a team contest.

He had a distinguished amateur career, including wining the French Amateur Open (1920), Scottish Amateur Championship (1920) and tied first place in the Canadian Open in 1921, losing in a play-off with J. Douglas Edgar. Also in the field were former North Berwick caddies Dan Kenny of Olean and Bob MacDonald of Chicago, fresh from his win in the Metropolitan Open. Tommy was appointed professional at the Congressional Country Club, Washington DC (1926-28) before moving to Tam O Shanter Golf Club, Chicago IL(1929-32). During this period he was working on his own account and resided with his wife Consuelo Carrera who he had known since his student days in Edinburgh they resided in the Commodore Hotel at 109, East 42nd Street, New York next to Grand Central Terminal. In 1926, Tommy Armour returned to Great Britain with Fred McLeod to play in the Open Championship at Royal Lytham & St Annes. The week prior to the championship an international match was played at Wentworth between British and American professionals when Armour played for the USA team. This match was the forerunner of the Ryder Cup. Tommy won the 1927 US Open (Oakmont); 1930 US PGA (Fresh Meadows); 1931 Open Championship (Carnoustie).

In 1924, Sandy was the first professional appointed to the new course at Ferncliffe Golf and Country Club, West Caldwell, New Jersey. he also ran one of the biggest indoor golf schools in New York. In 1926. he joined his brother Tommy at Congressional. In 1929 Sandy went with Tommy to Medinah Country Club in Chicago and wintered at Boca Raton Resort and Golf Club in Florida.

James Affleck began his apprenticeship as a clubmaker with Ben Sayers Ltd in 1952 at their workshop in Forth Street, North Berwick. Jimmy Affleck set up in business as a clubmaker and worked from his shop in Lochrin Place, Edinburgh for more than 30 years. He tweaked clubs for several top players including Tom Watson, Tony Jacklin, Lee Trevino and Ian Woosnam. Roger Cleveland, the founder of the golf equipment brand also paid a visit to Affleck at his home in Aberlady. He worked there in his garden shed where assistants doing their PGA training were regular visitors to ask him questions on club. He died in Aberlady in December 2012 and his obituary was carried in the Scotsman.

Eventually Peter Paxton brought out a mould that produced a ball with smaller brambles, and this was adopted by the leading manucturers. In March -9 Messrs J & D Clark of Eskside, Musselburgh sold over 79,000 balls in one month and had orders for 10 times that amount.

In 1929, the club instructed local blacksmith Rob Gay to make an implement to cut the hole in the green. Gay was also a publican and adjuster of weights and measures, working from his forge at 83, High Street, Musselburgh.

In 1900 the Golf Clubs playing over Musselburgh included Levenhall Golf Club, Zingari Golf Club, Musselburgh New Golf Club, Links Golf Club, Royal Musselburgh Golf Club, Honestas Golf Club, North Esk Golf Club, and Musselburgh Ladies Golf Club. According to the custom of Musselburgh Town Council, following the election of the town magistrate, the leading officials of the burgh then left the chambers and played two rounds of the links for the Musselburgh Corporation Golf Club Medal.

John Reid known as the Father of American Golf was born 28th December 1840 in Dunfermline son of John Reid a hand loom weaver and his wife Isabella Aidie. Reid learned to play golf on Musselburgh links before he emigrated to America and was appointed the secretary of an Iron Manucturing Company. Reid resided on Palisade Avenue, Yonkers, New York when he requested a friend Robert Lockhart to purchase a few clubs and balls for him while on a visit to Scotland. Lockhart had them shipped across the Atlantic, and dispatched to John Reid. Lockhart was born January 1840 at 6 Cousins Lane (off Mill Street) Dunfermline son of James Lockhart a Table Linen Manucturer employing nine men, and his wife Ann.

The Musselburgh Open was an independent tournament played seven times between -2 and 1906. The first Tournament was played in -2 when Willie Park Jnr. triumphed over Tom Vardon, and Andrew Kirkaldy. It was not a set fixture but organised when the Open was in Scotland. It was not played in 1905 when the Open was held at St Andrews, and the prize money fluctuated between 41 and 100. The format was described in -6 as the new system of two competitions - the first by strokes and the second by holes. Following the first day of stroke play the leading 16 players qualified for the matchplay competition on the second day. This format was played at Musselburgh in -6 and 1901.

The McEwan workshop was situated in Millhill, Inveresk. Peter McEwan (-5-1971) the last of the six generations was appointed professional at Preston (1919-23), then Bolton Old Links (1923-25), before moving to Barassie (1925-27) and then Nairn (1927-29).

Tommy Armour emigrated to America sailing on S.S Aquitaine from Liverpool he arrived in New York on 24 July 1920. His passage was sponsored by the North British Rubber Company Ltd of Toronto, manucturers of the Clincher Cross golf ball. They also had a ctory in Fountainbridge, Edinburgh. Tommys final destination was Inverness Country Club, Toledo, Ohio. In 1922 Walter Hagen gave him a job as secretary of the Westchester-Biltmore Club and Tommy continued to play in amateur tournaments until he turned professional the following year.

Royal Musselburgh Golf Club was the first to start competitions for women golfers. The club minutes records that on 14th December 1810 it was resolved to present by subscription a handsome new creel and shawl to the best female golfer who plays on the annual occasion on 1st January next old style; to be intimated to the fish ladies by William Robertson, the officer of the club and the consolation prize was two of the best Barcelona silk handkerchiefs to be added to the above premium of the creel The fish-ladies to whom these inducements were offered were practised players. In the statistical account in 1795 it is stated that the women of Fisherrow near Musselburgh frequently play at golf. It was not until the 1870s that Ladies began to play with a set of clubs on short courses.

The last challenge match at Musselburgh took place in May -8 when Willie Park defeated Willie Fernie by 13 holes to 12 in a 50-a-side match over Musselburgh and Troon. This was the end of an era as challenge matches declined in popularity and the new breed of professionals preferred to play exhibition matches.

In June 1922 Sandy Armour visited his brother Tommy in New York at 25 West 53rd Street, and according to the passenger manifest he intended to stay for only six months but remained in America for the rest of his life. The New York Times reported that his bother Tommy met him at the pier and took him to his club at Westchester-Biltmore. Sandy won his first amateur tournament in America at the Shennecossett Country Club Annual tournament in 1922.

Thomas Dickson Armour born 24 September -6 at 18 Balcarres Street, Edinburgh, son of George Armour, foreman baker and his wife Martha Dickson. Tommy Armour attended Fettes College and then studied mathematics at Edinburgh University. He began playing at the nearby Braid Hills golf course along with his elder brother Sandy, a talented golfer who would later win the Scottish Amateur Championship. In -6 Tommy Armour played an exhibition match with the Amateur Champion Freddie Tait at the Burgess Golfing Society at Barnton, Edinburgh. Tommy Armour also played with Tait in the team representing Luffness New Golf Club which won the prodigious East Lothian Country Cup.nHis brother Sandy was a member of Lothianburn Golf Club in Edinburgh and represented the club in the Amateur Championship at St Andrews in 1913. Tommy was also a member of Lothianburn and a third brother Will Armour became a professional at Aix les Bains in southern France.

he Honourable Company were first to move further down the coast in -1, followed by the Burgess club settling at Barnton in -4 and Bruntisfield laid out their own course in -8. Royal Musselburgh, granted its Royal title in 1876, moved to a new parkland course in 1924 at nearby Prestongrange, designed by James Braid.

In -8 a few friends used the recently arrived equipment to negotiate a rudimentary three hole course cut in a field close to his house. Five of his friends got together to form St Andrews Golf Club of Yonkers with John Reid as its first president on 14th November -8. Four years later they moved to a better locality, a mile north of the original position near the secretary Henry O. Tallmadges residence. The new ground comprised of 30 acres of pasture land and an old apple tree they called the clubhouse, where the members gathered under the branches for cool shade and they where called The Old Apple Tree Gang. Historians suggest that John Reids reputation as the Father of American Golf is undeserved as he did nothing to encourage the innt game. Robert Lockhart was a member of Dunfermline Golf Club and regularily returned to Scotland. In 1904, he resided at the Royal Hotel, Princes Street, Edinburgh when he fell ill and died on 19th July. His home address was 218 West - Street, New York.

Robert Bob Aitken emigrated to America sailing from Liverpool on S.S Baltic he arrived in New York on 13 March 1923. Bob was appointed assistant professional to the former Irish champion John Edmundson at Llanerch Country Club, Haverford, Pennsylvania. The following year he was assistant to Jack Hobens from North Berwick at Huntingdon Valley Country Club (Rydal) PA. He was engaged as head professional at Baederwood Golf Club (Jenkintown) PA. (1928-29) and then to Lu Lu Country Club (North Hills) PA. (1930-43). Bob became an American citizen on 1st October 1930 at the US District Court of Philadelphia while he resided at 204 Bockins Avenue, Abington. Bob Aitken returned to Baederwood Golf Club (Jenkintown) PA. (1944-55) and finally to West Chester Golf & Country Club (West Chester) PA. (1956-59).

Related articles
"FIFA 18" PS4 Edition Experience: Subtle Innovation
The experience of the "FIFA 18" PS4, Xbox One and PC versions is exactly the same, and [Detailed]
Game gossip
You may like
About us | Copyright Notice | Disclaimer | Contact us
Game Information Network First Game Perspective - The Most Professional Gaming Entertainment Portal
Disclaimer: All information in the game information network such as text, pictures, video, audio, etc. comes from the Internet. It does not mean that this site agrees with its opinions. This site is not responsible for its copyright. The originality of the related works, the texts in the text and the contents of the texts cannot be verified one by one. If you find content that violates your legal rights on this site, please contact us and this site will be immediately deleted!
CopyRight©1999-2013 WWW.6KGM.Com All Right Reserved